question

sdpaine avatar image
sdpaine asked

Old water propeller driven 12v generator work with MPPT 75/15?

On the 25 ft sailboat I take offshore I normally have a single 40w solar panel to keep the two 12V Optimus batteries charged. When I go offshore I add two more for a total of three 40w panels. I also have a really vintage propeller driven 12v generator that is basically your old 57' Chevy's generator with a rope and a 2hp Johnson propeller on a stainless shaft. I use it rarely, but it is there if I need it. Actually works really well but produces a good deal of drag. Puts out about 10 amps at 6 kn. If I put the power lead from the generator to the PV connections along with the solar panels will the controller handle it?

I have researched this and cannot find a clear answer.

Thank you,

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
murph avatar image
murph answered ·

The maximum voltage of your PV array is very likely significantly higher than the generator is designed to handle. I.e. it would likely damage the generator. Just connect the generator in parallel with other 12V charge sources (i.e. in parallel with the MPPT output, engine alternator, and shore charger).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.