question

roald-koger avatar image
roald-koger asked

BMV-712 Smart: buttons disabled?

My 2 months old BMV-712 Smart does not respond to the hardware buttons on the display anymore. Following the latest firmware update it was initially working fine, but is now stuck showing usage / yield in Watts. The app on the other hand is still fully functional, so power, bluetooth and connection to the shunt can't be the issue. It's almost like the hardware buttons were disabled by command, but I haven't seen any option in the manual to do this. Is there a way to enable/disable the buttons?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

roald-koger avatar image roald-koger commented ·
Antwoorden mag ook in het Nederlands. :)
0 Likes 0 ·
lkvic avatar image lkvic commented ·
My BMV-712 is hung up in a firmware update, and also my buttons do nothing. Meanwhile I'm locked out from settings that I need to change.
0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @Roald Koger

Have you also tried going into the settings or the history?

And which firmware version is now installed on the BMV?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

roald-koger avatar image
roald-koger answered ·

Hi,
Yes, I went into the settings and found nothing related to the buttons. Haven't specifically checked the history. The firmware is the latest that was released for the BMV-712, almost 3 weeks ago. I'd have to check the unit for the exact version number, but the firmware update was mandatory, so I could not skip it, even if I wanted to. I could check once I get to my boat, where the unit is installed.

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi,

What I meant with the settings and history was not in VictronConnect, but on the BMV itself. Did you only try the up/down for the next item or also tried keeping the settings button pressed and/or the select button for the history?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
roald-koger avatar image roald-koger Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·
Hi Thiemo,

Tried it all. No response. Did a factory reset from the app twice. Re-connected the data cable. Buttons still do not work.

0 Likes 0 ·
roald-koger avatar image
roald-koger answered ·

Firmware version is 4.07.

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

I cannot draw any other conclusion than that the BMV is defective. Please contact the seller to have the BMV replaced.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

4 comments
2 |3000

roald-koger avatar image roald-koger commented ·

Thanks, Timo.

FWIW: I do agree that the unit probably is defective. It's leading it's own life. I just returned from a sailing holiday, on which I was able to monitor the BMV closely for an extensive period. The buttons became responsive again, but I can't get the BMV to display one specific parameter. It returns to displaying all parameters in a sequence. I also witnessed a day on which the BMV kept re-setting itself, leading to a beep every few seconds. Even the intervals between the re-sets were irregular.

Anyway, not much luck with Victron for me. I already had to purchase a new BlueSmart charger in Denmark because the one I had failed with an internal short after only 3 or 4 sessions of usage. Being just over a year old. :'(

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ roald-koger commented ·

Hi @Roald Koger

The cycling through the parameters is a feature that can be enabled and disabled by keeping the down button pressed for 3 seconds. At that moment the BMV will beep once. I would not be surprised when this is also what happened when it "kept resetting" itself as normally during a reset, the BMV does not beep. But when the down button was intermittently stuck and not stuck, it would continuously change the cycle setting and thus beep once.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
lkvic avatar image lkvic commented ·
So, if our BMV-712 update is frozen and the buttons do nothing, we should all replace the units. The two fixes you suggested to me both failed. (I wasted money buying the cable.) You also suggested a fix from you would take a long time. You are now saying a fix will not come from you?
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @lkvic

I wrote a new answered underneath your original question.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
roald-koger avatar image
roald-koger answered ·

Hi @Thiemo,
All this time I had hope that the issue would be firmware related because of the inconsistent behaviour of the hardware buttons. It turned out I was probably right. :-)
Just over a week ago firmware bumped from 4.07 to 4.08 and now the unit is functioning perfectly again. For now I'm glad that I didn't have to go through the hassle of removing the unit and having it replaced.

2 |3000