question

pietshaba25 avatar image
pietshaba25 asked

Setting depth of discharge to only use 40%

Depth of discharge for a Multiplus ll GX 5kva

We have recently installed a Victron system but we would like the system only to use 40% of the battery capacity and to charge it using the grid, there are 2 X 4.8kwh pylontectech lithium batteries installed with 8 X 540W JA Solar panels with a 150/85 Mppt.2021-07-07 at 15.21.02.jpeg

ESSVEConfigure 3
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
to help out here really a full diagram of what you have, and how its setup would be most helpfull, ie have you also got a GX device and are you using AC connect or DC connected charging , theis means have you got grid tie inverters and or mppt regulators, as there are so many diferant ways that you could be setup that giving advise with this level of info is really not posiable
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
pietshaba25 avatar image
pietshaba25 answered ·

8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
I see that you are using Optimized (with BatteryLife).

Use Optimized (without BatteryLife) instead. It's the better choice when you have a LiFePO4 battery.

Why you enabled AC coupled PV feed in when you don't have a PV inverter?

Do you actually have an Energy Meter?

0 Likes 0 ·
pietshaba25 avatar image pietshaba25 seb71 commented ·
Hi @Seb71 there is no PV inverter and no energy meter.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 pietshaba25 commented ·

In that case you have wrong settings.

In ESS change "Grid metering" from "External meter" to "Inverter/charger".

And in "Grid feed in" disable "AC coupled PV feed in excess".

Take a read of the ESS manual and check all your settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks a lot for your help I will go through the settings.
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @Seb71 One last Q in this case the inverter is charging the batteries through the grid and the solar panels because the batteries % is below 60% but when it gets to 60% it will stop charging and start to use power from the solar panels and the batteries I just want to make sure I understand it correctly.?

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 pietshaba25 commented ·

If using "Optimized (without BatteryLife)", as long as the battery is above the "Minimum SOC" level, the Multiplus inverter should not charge the battery with energy from the grid (if set properly, the low battery voltages should correspond to a SOC lower than "Minimum SOC").

0 Likes 0 ·
Thank you very much you have solved my problem.
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

In the ess section you have allready set the grid set point to 50

then further down there is scheduled charging so setup some schedule charging to the levels you want and times you want them to occur

once you set these you should get what you want I think

2 |3000