question

tkepler avatar image
tkepler asked

SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 Stuck in Float until hard reboot

I have two MPPT's and they keep getting stuck in float mode and will not go back into bulk after they have hit float. I have consulted several other professionals and we cannot find anything wrong in the settings

I tried basically everything. Set to the stock LiFePo4 charge profile, factory reset, increased the float voltage, decreased the re-bulk offset, disabled one of the two controllers so it couldn't be confusing the other. The only way I have gotten them to charge is a complete reboot or I remotely updated the FW with the same version, which I think just rebooted the units.

They were working fine previously until a couple days ago.

1625699575282.png1625699581040.png1625699509794.png

MPPT Controllers
1625699509794.png (375.9 KiB)
1625699575282.png (330.2 KiB)
1625699581040.png (208.4 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Why is the float voltage the same as the absorption voltage?
0 Likes 0 ·
wanek avatar image wanek klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
because the victron app interface does not have a proper lithium chemistry profile, they still using the lead profile. but since lithium needs a very different charge algorithm than lead, the only way to set is putting the same value. (lithium does not need the absorption phase at all, only bulk and float).

0 Likes 0 ·
wanek avatar image wanek commented ·
why are you using fixed 1h absorption?
0 Likes 0 ·
tkepler avatar image tkepler wanek commented ·
  1. @wanek this snapshot was when I was trying different settings attempting to get it to turn on. I typically have it set at two hours.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
tkepler avatar image
tkepler answered ·

I thought I'd give an updated on my solution. I have been working directly with Victron to resolve the issue. Apparently, there is a glitch in the programming of the small 100/20 MPPTs for at least the 48v settings. Not sure if they were old stock that had been sitting on the shelf a while or what exactly the problem stems from but both units were RMA'd. I replaced them with a single 150/35 unit and it is working as it should. It did cost more than the two smaller units but I didn't want to risk having the same problem again.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tkepler avatar image
tkepler answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) any ideas what could be going on here?

5 comments
2 |3000

Have you tried disabling temperature compensation?

Can you also take a screenshot of the detailed history view in VictronConnect?

0 Likes 0 ·
tkepler avatar image tkepler Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) Yes, temp compensation is disabled. Unfortunately I lost VRM access to the system this evening but below is the last 30 days shot I grabbed this morning. They appear to have started acting up on the 2nd. I visited site on the 5th and adjusted some things (Cerbo antennas needed the relocate modification) and left the AC system turned on so that is why there is a lot more usage occurring the last few days.

210325047-10159622654062472-7223601273829311990-n.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ tkepler commented ·

The detailed view, where the arrow points shows a lot more voltage related information below the bar graphs - this is needed to diagnose any further.

cleanshot-2021-07-08-at-144531.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
tkepler avatar image tkepler Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I've got the historical data from VRM the last few days. You can see where I manually reset the controllers after giving up adjusting settings each morning.

1625721186305.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1625721186305.png (94.9 KiB)
@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I have the Quattro AC Input Control on this system configured to prioritize the solar + battery over the grid via the preconfigured assistant in VictronConnect. Do you think this could be causing the problem?
0 Likes 0 ·