question

kevin-b avatar image
kevin-b asked

250/100 not recharging fast enough

i have a 250/100 with 7.400 watts and i take 13000 kwh at night so to recharge that . shouldn't take 7 1/2 hrs i think there's something going on, i have 2000 watts on sun up side 2000 on sun down side and the rest for the noon time, should i move them around? thanks for your help

smart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Initial thoughts are that you seem to have 3 sub arrays of solar modules pointing in different directions. These should be connected to 3 individual MPPT's.

Solar modules will only give full output when the sun is full on to the module - changing the angle of incidence reduces the output significantly. From your rough description above, 7.5 hours to replace the 13,000kWh sounds about right.

A lot will depend on your location, and exact orientation of the arrays. You may get more output by placing all the modules in the same plane, and orienting it south (or N if you're south of the equator), with the inclination equal to your latitude. This will certainly be the case if you only have one MPPT.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevin-b avatar image kevin-b commented ·
thanks mike,, i was just hopping putting the panels deferent directions would get the batts charger faster, this last year i added more bats/solar panels , and now i have teething prob getting it all working right again,, and yes i only have 1 charge controller the 250/100, before the add on stuff , i would be in float by 10.00 am now its more like 1.30, but i am taking more out of the batts , im running 2 ac units 1 400 watt and 1 1000 watt, when before i was just running the 400 wat ac ,and the frig and the freezer outside lights, not a big watt suck,
0 Likes 0 ·
solarhack avatar image
solarhack answered ·

Hi

Having multiple panels pointing in different directions on one string isn't a good idea. The strings will effectively act as if they are permanently partially shaded. It should be noted panels that are more than 45 degrees off their optimal facing angle will also see a significant reduction in power generation.

There are three ways to address this:

1. Ideally your main array should be north or south facing (Depending on the hemisphere) and on its own string. You could add optional east and west strings. This is similar to what you have now, but each direction is on its own string.
  2. If you don't have the luxury of a north/south facing mounting, you can have other orientations but then need to have one to capture the morning sun and one the afternoon sun. Each array needs to be on its own string. You also need to increase the size of the array to compensate for their reduced power generation due to the non-optimal angle.
  3. If you cannot restructure your array or obtain more MPPTs with more strings, you could reduce the impact by implementing bypass diodes to ensure the "shaded" panels are bypassed. This will offer some relief.

4 comments
2 |3000

kevin-b avatar image kevin-b commented ·

question need to have one to capture the morning sun and one the afternoon sun. Each array needs to be on its own string,, buy string do you mean its own charge controller?,, i can draw a pic so you can see what im talking about ,, i have 1 Victron 250/100 controller 12 /305 watt at 120 volts/ and 16 240 watt at 120 watt panels, i know i loose alittle, but that's what i have now

0 Likes 0 ·
solarhack avatar image solarhack kevin-b commented ·

By separate strings I mean a set of parallel or serial panels with its own independent tracker/MPPT. In the case of the standard Smart solar MPPT's that would be a separate MPPT per string. In the case of the Smart Solar RS that would be a two or four string device.

Something like this (Not accurate, just an example, you would need to calculate the exact size MPPTs based on string structure, voltage and amperage)

Example 1: The existing 250/100 MPPT 12x305 (North/South facing) and then 8 x 240 in each direction on two new 150/45 MPPTs (Early/late sun)

or

Example 2: Existing 250/100 MPPT 12x305 (Early sun) and then 16 x 240 with a new 250/100 MPPTs (late sun)

It would mean you would have to buy one or two more MPPT's

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ solarhack commented ·

"Something like this (Not accurate, just an example, you would need to calculate the exact size MPPTs based on string structure, voltage and amperage)"

For realistic purposes, the Vmp of the strings should be similar, Or the cell count per string should be the same.

Recommended array string fusing should be adhered to though..

0 Likes 0 ·
solarhack avatar image solarhack klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Agreed, and I would add that with multiple orientations the different sets of panels are likely to exhibit different voltages at different times as their orientation will be more optimal at different times. The arrays not getting the sun will act like "shaded" panels and pull the voltage down of the whole array. At any point in time you will have a set/sets of panels that are in this low energy state. Having panels with varying orientations in one array will work but will result in significantly lower yield than having the same panels all orientated the same way or orientated seperately on their own tracker. Having panels of different voltages in parallel will effectively pull each panel in that array's voltage down to the lowest common denominator, effectively also lowering overall yield.

Bypass diodes will help as they will simply bypass any panels that are pulling the array down, but you lose the power contribution of the bypassed panel.

Its really an efficiency argument, not a function argument. The greater the voltage difference between panels and the implementation of different orientations on the same MPPT will result in reduced efficiency.

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Mike, I do have 6 arrays, 4 of them pointing south, and 2 pointing west. connected on the same mppt. As long as your panels have Schottky Diodes integrated, they are protected against any loses due to the installation with other panels in parallel.

No need to have 3 mppts, it works really nicely. I did use in the past 2 mppts, which were "synchronizing" during the charge, and it was a major problem when they did enter the absorption phase, as one was mastering the other, and disabling it ! So it was unable to finish properly the absorption stage.

Using 1 mppt will avoid such problem.

PS: I have optimized the angle of my panels for winter time (60 degrees), as in spring, summer and automn I do have enough power even not being optimized for such periods.

Michel

4 comments
2 |3000

solarhack avatar image solarhack commented ·

@MichelG What is the Peak Kw your panels are rated at and what is their daily kwh yield?

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image michelg solarhack commented ·
Hi Solarhack ! Around 17kWh can be produced in a single day. Each panel is 140Wp.

0 Likes 0 ·
solarhack avatar image solarhack michelg commented ·

Whats to total peak power on one MPPT? The reasoning behind my question is efficiency. You can have multiple panels with different orientations, but this generally results in a significantly lower yield compared to them all with the same orientation or on different trackers. I was just trying to guage the difference for myself.

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image michelg solarhack commented ·

3kWp, as my battery bank is on 24VDC. If you have it in 48V, you can get 5800W to charge your batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic