question

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett asked

Feature request for Venus OS on Raspberry Pi

Whilst getting started on a software development using Venus OS, I'm running into problems with missing packages, and install of functions such as pip not working properly.

SPECIFIC to Raspberry Pi versions of Venus OS:-

Please can we have pip pre-installed?

Please can we also have a self contained version of Python.h installed? Python.h references a large quantity of fairly trivial .h files (I'm finding >60 so far and not found all of them yet). This file is referenced while trying to run "setup install <module> " whilst building custom python modules.

Please can we also have "as" - this also throws a fatal error during running setup. Not sure what this is, also not found by opkg

Please can we also have the Python module spidev or similar, that allows access to the SPI ports on the BCRM chip? (Access to the other BCRM functions would also be good).

Venus OSRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jeroen avatar image
jeroen answered ·

No Venus is for embedded products, it won't contain unneeded stuff. You can install optional things with opkg, in this case, simply type:

opkg install binutils python-dev python-pip binutils packagegroup-core-buildessential
pip install spidev

*-dev packages contain the header files, since they are not needed to run python. It is not something specific to venus, all linux distro's I know split them in separate packages.

as is the assembler, it is part of binutils, not gcc. Don't ask me why, but also not Venus specific.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.