question

xtend avatar image
xtend asked

Pylontech as a class II device

The MPPT (e.g. 150/35 or 250/70) has no galvanic separation, hence PV voltage can propagate to the battery in case of failure.

For local code (Belgium) it is required to have Class II equipment and double insulation using voltages above 60VDC.

How is this practically done? A Pylontech battery is not a class 2 equipment and the battery cables do not have double insulation.

(edited)The only way I can think of is to put a non conductive tube (e.g. PVC) round the battery cables and mount the Pylontech in a locked enclosure Any thoughts - do I miss something?

Thanks

MPPT Controllers
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

You can use the 450/100 or 450/200 if you require galvanic isolation.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ shaneyake commented ·
That will provide galvanic isolation between the PV array and the DC system.

It does not enable galvanic isolation between the rest of the DC components.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

That is correct but @Xtend said they only needs galvanic separation on devices with higher than 60VDC. The rest of the system would be below 60VDC only the PV side is above that.

0 Likes 0 ·
xtend avatar image xtend shaneyake commented ·
That is correct - will consider for a next project. Even the new easy solar do not have Galvanic separation. Very old fashion.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

None of the equipment is Class II. All of it is Class I and all of the equipment is provided with the bonding points. They must all be installed as Class I equipment. All bonded to an earth point according to your local rules.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.