question

duane avatar image
duane asked

Raspberry Pi 3B+ Update to 2.71

Newbie question

Sorry if its a stupid question I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ running 2.66 it works perfectly and I am very pleased with it.

I note a post talking about version 2.71 but there is no img file in the download repository

https://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/release/images/raspberrypi2/

I understand that I cant do an upgrade but need to write a complete new image for any version beyond 2.66 but it doesnt exist. Are you required to compile your own??

Raspberry Pi
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

itsme avatar image itsme commented ·

yes. It is not possible to update directly from 2.66. You need to create a new sd-card with the 2.71 image on in.

The imagefile is in the directroy you linked to.

Image direct: http://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/release/images/raspberrypi2/venus-image-raspberrypi2-20210621155055-v2.71.rootfs.wic.gz

use "Etcher" to write the image to the sd-card.

I suggest to take a new sd-card and keep the 2.66 as backup ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·
drdiesel avatar image drdiesel itsme commented ·
Can the data/config be copied over somehow?
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem drdiesel commented ·
It is possible to copy the /data partition from on SD card to another. I use gparted on Ubuntu running under Parallels on my Mac but any system capable of writing to ext4 disks should be able to do this. I have read that some of the ext4 options for Mac OS either read data only or are not reliable when writing. gparted can also be installed on a Raspberry PI running RaspberryPI OS.
0 Likes 0 ·
drdiesel avatar image drdiesel Kevin Windrem commented ·
Success, thank you Sir.
0 Likes 0 ·
code-chief avatar image code-chief commented ·

I understand the technical limitation of a major OS update not being possible without a reinstall, but then it would be user friendly to add an update check response error message "new version exists but requires reinstall" instead of just doing nothing.

I have v2.66 and it's great but was wondering why it didn't update. Also I note the switch to check release or release candidate doesn't work. Is there any way we can help improve the update experience, make it more intuitive and robust?

None of the main documentation links said anything about update not being possible so I had no way to know until I found this thread, thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
duane avatar image
duane answered ·

Thank you for your assistance

I was trying to use another sd card imager that didnt allow that image to be written

I will try etcher now

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.