question

oemmes avatar image
oemmes asked

BMV 712 DOD - battery Capacity - actual State of Charge

I’ve got a BMV 712 and a 90ah Gel battery.

The depth of discharge (DOD) is set to 50% for battery health reasons.

when the battery has a total capacity of 90ah and the DOD is set to 50% I can only use 45ah out of the battery.

My question:

Does the state of charge (0-100%) refer to the original 90ah capacity of the battery or does the state of charge (with a DOD 50%) refer to the 45ah usable capacity. If yes then 100% would be 45ah.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The SOC refers to the 90Ah as set in the battery capacity setting.
45Ah discharge would be 50% SOC.

50% SOC being represented as 0% would be no good because it is still possible to discharge below the 50% level and if that were to happen you'd want to know how far below 50% it went.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oemmes avatar image
oemmes answered ·

Thanks for the fast and good response

2 |3000

oemmes avatar image
oemmes answered ·

what is the sense of the DOD setting because I could also set „relay low SOC“ to 50% to disconnect the loads.

Is the only difference between DOD and the setting „relay low SOC“ that this is used to calculate the residual time taking energy out of the battery ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

The "discharge floor" setting is only for calculating the time-to-go and that small battery icon in the bottom right.

If you set the "discharge floor" to 50% then the time-to-go is 0 and the battery icon is empty at 50% SOC.

0 Likes 0 ·