question

michael20x5 avatar image
michael20x5 asked

BMV-712 Firmware update wiped all data

Hi,

just update to the latest firmware 4.07 and my 2.5 years of data is gone! Thank you! I’d like it back. You don’t allow data logging or downloading of the data and now your recent update has wiped it. Previous firmware updates have never done this, even a device reset has never done this, therefore I didn’t take a picture.

What can you do?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

The history is gone.

A firmware update always can wipe the history and/or settings.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Never had that happen on a BMV. My settings and history is still there from what I can see.
0 Likes 0 ·
uenpia avatar image uenpia nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Have you updated from ver. 4.05 to 4.07?
0 Likes 0 ·
michael20x5 avatar image
michael20x5 answered ·

No. Why doesn’t Victron state this, save your data and tell you that it may reset?

2 |3000

rainerb avatar image
rainerb answered ·

Hi, I can confirm this!

I also updated my BMV712 lately and my battery history was gone. If I knew that before, I would have noted my charged/discharged battery kwh values of the last years. Now my battery bank is quite "new" again - at least according to the BMV.

Regards Rainer

2 |3000

westen avatar image
westen answered ·

Thing I hate about Victron Firmware Updates is, they are "mandatory".

No way to just skip and forget about them.

No way to say: NO, I like the way my system works now just fine, thank you.

I dread the moment I start up my Victron screen to check some details and it says: "Firmware update mandatory, do it now and perish". Or something along these lines.

Aaaaargghh! Firmware Update!

That's when I know I'm in for a hellbound journey.

Because I know from experience that any Victron firmware update will leave my system disrupted in some way or other.

I beg Victron to give this some thought and hire someone experienced in this matter (testing firmware-updates on alle possible systems in all possible configurations) before releasing "mandatory updates" or at least give users the option of NOT updating to new Firmware.

Thank you very much.

1 comment
2 |3000

tmo46 avatar image tmo46 commented ·
After firmware update...got error code...how can I clear the error code...trying to install new Lithium batteries?
0 Likes 0 ·
westen avatar image
westen answered ·

Apart from the possibility of losing data, it's a hell of a ride anytime a "Firmware-update" presents itself. Usually my Android Phone "sort-of" deals with it, but it will run havoc on my MacBook anytime/anyday. And Yes, eventually things sort out, but it takes a lot of fingerpicking and XXX-ing on my part. I just don't want to spend hours and hours on this stuff, especially since I see no good coming from the so-called "Upgrade/date" in the first place.

Anyway. Relax. I've blown some of my frustration by now. I'm good. I'm breathing.

Just spare me the "firmware-updates" for some time, thank you very much.

jan

2 |3000