question

digitaldvd avatar image
digitaldvd asked

communications error through usb port on raspberry pi

Have been monitoring my charger via the ve direct port to the usb on my pi4 via my pc

and leave this running in the background but then after sometime it stops communicating and I have to restart the ve connect, is it a buffer issue or a speed issue as pointed out changing the usb port seem to fix it by using the usb 3. This is what comes up under ve connect when it fails.

MQTT-RPC

unable to connect to the rpc broker. Configuring the device is not possible.

Error Code:#R2

is this a bug

Raspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Are you using VE-direct or VE-bus? According to Victron docs, chargers have VE-bus coms (Mk2 or Mk3?). This timeout must be a software issue, as I have both VE-direct and VE-bus/Mk2 running on a Pi3 continuously.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

digitaldvd avatar image
digitaldvd answered ·

I am using ve direct for the mppt/100/50 charger and when inverter is on im using ve-bus.

I have now found that it runs for maybe 30-45min then locks up via ve direct and this happens through the usb 2 connection, is there a speed or buffer issue as this should work without any problem as its rs232 and speed should not be an issue if i go and plug into the usb3 port there is no problem but if some are wanting to monitor in real time via their pc the usb2 ports could fail and need to be reset

2 |3000