question

dixonge avatar image
dixonge asked

Can I monitor midpoint deviation in a 12v series/parallel configuration?

I have four 6v golf cart batteries configured in a series/parallel circuit. They are not cross-tied. Is it even possible to monitor the midpoint like this? At some point I connected B2 from the shunt to the positive terminal that is in-between one of the series. I think I'm only monitoring the midpoint of one set of batteries, right?

Is there any way to do this across all four batteries without adding cables and cross-tying everything?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jesse avatar image
Jesse answered ·

With two separate strings you'll need separate hardware to monitor the mid point voltage of each.

I think it correct to say that currently you're only monitoring one, leaving you blind to the other string's state.

Sounds like you're using a BMV712 currently? Probably overkill to buy a second one - consider some dedicated hardware like this from ebay. I can't think of anything victron that would be useful.

Waterproof LED Dual Voltmeter Voltage Gauge Battery Monitor Panel Car Boat AU | eBay

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.