question

bitcrusher avatar image
bitcrusher asked

L and N Inverted Input

what happens if L and N is not correct at the shorepower supply?

Let‘s say they are inverted at the multiplus‘ Input...

Does the multiplus correct this at its output? Or is it just passed thru as ist is?

What happens when the multiplus switches (seemless) over to inverter mode?

Could it be possible that the output relay that Switches N and PE together set the L on housing of the multiplus ? ( maybe when shore-PE is also damaged?)

Thanks!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

The MultiPlus will not correct or swap L and N, but will feed it through as is.

In a system were Earth is not used it does not matter if L and N are swapped. But in almost all systems Neutral is connected to Earth. This connection is needed so an RCD (earth leakage relay) can operate correctly. If L and N are swapped; L will connect to earth instead of N and the RCD will trip.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

murph avatar image
murph answered ·

I'm not certain just how a Multiplus will respond to swapped L & N input, but most common single phase AC equipment simply doesn't care (what matters is the frequency, waveform, and amplitude). In situations where it's desirable to have N locally tied to earth (e.g. a metal-hulled boat, while afloat), connecting the shore supply via an Isolation transformer does this. With no transformer, you must not add additional PE-N connections to a grid supply.

The PE-N relay should not be closed in passthrough mode. It is there for when the inverter is running.

The RCD / RCCB / ELCB / GFCI on the shore supply should take care of safety issues, in general.

2 |3000

bitcrusher avatar image
bitcrusher answered ·

Ok thanks,

I‘am asking because on a lot of campinggrounds There are sometimes horrible electric installations, often you don‘t know how they wired their installations, even they don‘t use RCDs, or often they use normal plugs (like in households) instead of CEE plugs.

and ..... what happens in „power control“ mode (when the multiplus takes energy from batteries and from the mains simultainiously)?

Peace !

4 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

Hi Crusha. Actually campgrounds are one of the least likely places for this to occur. Think twin input mobiles - if one is round the wrong way and the N's on board are connected, it soon gets sorted..

Take that from an ex-campground-owner who once ordered 80 new outlets. One was wired wrong from the factory. Thankfully cbs & fuses back further prevented any damage.

Happy camping!..

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·

The Multi is also a very picky device when it come to passing through ac. I think it would know, and just reject it.

0 Likes 0 ·
bitcrusher avatar image bitcrusher JohnC ♦ commented ·

Often I had the situation to have normal EU standard sockets, or adapters like this:

...so it’s completely not defined what is L or N because you can plug them in both ways.

i often saw this on a lot of campgrounds.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ bitcrusher commented ·

Yeh ok. Sad stuff, I guess bring your own multimeter..

0 Likes 0 ·
bitcrusher avatar image
bitcrusher answered ·

Maybe a victron expert can tell what happens when there’s reverse polarity on AC input?

Is it dangerous? Is an external phase monitoring required?

Thanks!

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

I'm not an expert, but in using I've never had a single phase installation Multi -not- accept reversed polarity.
As here (Netherlands) the 'shuko' plugs don't have polarity, when not using EEC plugs it's a 50/50 chance of getting it right ;)

Generally you'd wire up everything on board with double pole switches, and breakers are all double pole also.
Combined with an RCD I don't see much danger here. (but don't quote me on that)

0 Likes 0 ·