question

Máté Őry avatar image
Máté Őry asked

How to detect AES

I think that my MultiPlus II (48/3000/35) doesn't enter AES (neither if configured for search mode or modified sine wave), even if there aren't any loads connected to the output leads.

Is there an indication somewhere about the currently active AES mode? What I'm trying to do is to find it out based on input current on the shunt or measured with a dc clamp, and the output frequency/vrms in search mode.

This is what the Cerbo shows with all AC leads disconnected (and no dc consumers other than the Cerbo, the BMV and the Ve.BUS BMS).

1623927640777.png

And these are the values that I would expect, from the datasheet:

1623927666944.png

Multiplus-IIaes
1623927640777.png (94.1 KiB)
1623927666944.png (12.5 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pmikep avatar image pmikep commented ·
So, this brings up a Feature Request: How about a new flashing LED code on the Multiplus to show users when the Multiplus is in Power Saving mode? (I hope I'm not embarrassing myself by not checking the Manual before posting. IIRC, it doesn't do this.)

And, similarly, could VictronConnect show the text "AES" when the Multi is in Power Saving?

It would be a "Nice to Know" piece of data, especially when trying to "dial in" the correct trip point.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ pmikep commented ·

@pmikep

If you have a gx or even a blutooth smart they both tell you that it is in aes.

Then also if you listen to the multi you will hear the sound change.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Máté Őry

Is the inverter actually programmed with AES enabled? I have disabled it on a few systems at client request.

Actual proof is seeing the modified sine wave specified in settings with an ocilloscope on the ac out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5hLMoJSQesc

This guy uses a light to show the difference.

Mine the phone charger blips when it is in search mode as the charger is not enough to get it out of search mode.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Máté Őry avatar image Máté Őry commented ·

Indeed, the waveform looks like a true sinus in all the three cases of AES disabled, modified sine wave, or in search mode.

That leads to the question why it doesn't enter AES...

20210617-182819.jpg

screenshot-from-2021-06-17-18-32-36.png

screenshot-from-2021-06-17-18-31-45.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Máté Őry commented ·
Reading on an ociloscope depends on your ocilloscope sample rate and bandwith. What are the specs on your one?

With the picture you have attached it does not look like a full sine wave as the peaks and valleys do not match in curve.

0 Likes 0 ·
Máté Őry avatar image Máté Őry Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thanks for your answer.

This is a cheap "toy" scope, neither the voltage levels, nor the offset seems to be correct. The grid power looks the same on this scope.

Anyway, search mode should definitely not look like this.

Returning to the original question: shouldn't the inverter be in "Low power" mode if AES is active instead of "Inverting"? I've never seen that status displayed, but found some references to it. Or it's for undervoltage/low SoC shutdown?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Máté Őry commented ·
So what i have seen is the ones with lower resolution and sample rate sort of 'make up' the sine wave between the sample points.

So less points means less of an accurate depiction of what is going on.

I can see on your graph that the top peaks are pointed and the valleys are more curved. Hence me asking.

Thats why with the youtube video and cheap light its easier to detect

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

In your first image, where the multiplus box shows inverting, it will say low power.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic