question

thomasd avatar image
thomasd asked

Can the BMV-712 shunt be faulty?

I installed the BMV 712 yesterday for the first time to a 100Ah Lithium battery. The monitor worked great and displayed 13.5 volts for the last two days. I also installed the smart solar MPPT 75/15 and everything was working fine.

Tight I noticed there was no power on the monitor. When I checked my battery with a meter it said 1.9 volts. When I shut off my master switch the battery read 13 at the battery so it’s not that. Could the BMV be faulty?

All the connections are the same and there are no loads on the system. The only thing attached is the Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15.

BMV Battery Monitor
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@thomasd

Did you check the inline fuse? If it is still not working.

It is possible that the battery bms shutdown, switching off everything. Could have been overcharged or the temperature protection activated?

0 Likes 0 ·
thomasd avatar image thomasd Alexandra ♦ commented ·
The fuse is fine. How would I detect if there’s a bms shutdown? Could a SmartSolar overheat the lithium battery? I’m pretty sure I had it disconnected via a switch but wondering if maybe I left it on.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ thomasd commented ·
When you checked your battery at 1.9v the bms had gone into protection.

Switching it off and on would have reset it.
Not knowing more about your system, i am only guessing what has happened.

Is the bmv still not working? You can also check maybe the rj11 cable needs to be checked?

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers