question

Lou Cetrangelo avatar image
Lou Cetrangelo asked

When battery is less then 100% and Multiplus is on generator with A/C on - battery will discharge

Here is my setup on my RV

Victron multiplus 3,000 watt 12v inverter/charger
300 amps hours of battleborn Lithium batteries
850 watts of solar panels.
50/100 smart solar controller.
Two 15,000 btu A/C units with a microair easy start on the livingroom unit.
Honda EU2200 generator
Current limiting set to 17.5 amps

Scenerio #1
Battery bank at 100% in float or absorbtion mode
Generator running
Multiplus set to on
Turn on Livingroom A/C unit

A/C runs fine and will have a little extra power to run a few lights, TV with a few amps going in the battery bank

Scenerio #2
Same as above but battery bank is just less then 100%
Inverter charger goes into bulk mode with 120 amps going in the battery bank.

A/C starts up and runs but multiplus is in assist mode and battery bank is draining fast.

Is there a setting that I can configure to not have this happen? Can I choose to give priority to the ac load and not the charger?

If I set it to inverter only there is no power comming in on the grid and the A/C is running only on battery.

I know that I could let the battery bank fully charge before I run the A/C but on a very hot day after a long drive and your RV is 102° F inside, you want to cool off as soon as possible.

Thanks
Lou Cetrangelo

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Lou Cetrangelo

That genset is an inverter type, and won't tolerate spikes. With the batts below 100% and with the aircon on, you've probably tripped it. The Multi won't tell you that, it just continues on inverting. And the genset may be reluctant to come in again to a full load.

Try lowering that 17.5A to far lower, then work up once you find it can handle it.

Then there's this.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image harold commented ·
Or the generator AC is disconnected / rejected, due to out of range!

You van adjust your settings to wide range and UPS function off

0 Likes 0 ·
Lou Cetrangelo avatar image
Lou Cetrangelo answered ·

Thanks. I will give that a try.

2 |3000

svtti123 avatar image
svtti123 answered ·

Hi @Lou Cetrangelo

the 2200eu is only rated for 1800 watt continuous or 15 amps at a setting of 17.5 amps on multiplus the generator is operating well past its design limits .

i have the same 2200i only real difference is mine has bluetooth wattmeter the 2200 Honda @ 17.5 is well into the danger zone that starts at 1750 watts .

the 2200eu manual states never exceed 1800 watts and that is operating on the very edge of its design, very hard on generator. a conferrable setting would be 80% of it continuous rating.

2 |3000