question

ramblinjack avatar image
ramblinjack asked

Algorithm for Orion DC DC charger - AGM Battery

Hello Everyone, first post:

I have an Orion DC-DC 12/12-30 wired to the primary powerhead under the driver's seat of 2019 Sprinter (60amp; hot only when engine running). This power take-off is initiated ONLY via full manual switch at my discretion; mostly it's off. Primary charging is via roof solar; secondary is shore power; Orion DC-DC is only for extended cloudy or overnight driving conditions (each rare). House batteries are a pair of 6V/225Ah AGMs in series, for 12/225Ah.

Factory charging algos from Victron do not include anything for a standard AGM battery; closest is Spiral Cell AGM.

Question: Can I use the algo for Spiral Cell AGM on a standard AGM, OR is this NOT a good/ok idea? If NO, how best to program the preferred algo?

Note: I also have a Victron MPPT 100/30 solar charge controller, which does have a factory preset algo for my AGMs. Can I somehow easily copy & paste the algo from the MPPT over to the Orion?

Thanks for any assistance.

Jack

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

benanderson9 avatar image benanderson9 commented ·

I know its been a while but saw this post.

Question,

What do you use as a full manual switch? I am having problems with my AGM's pulling from my primary power head causing the battery to die on me often..

Rookie here.

Thanks,

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ benanderson9 commented ·
Just in case you don't get an answer, take a look at the documentation. It's downloadable. The bit you interested in is the L/H terminals.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Try selecting the Spiral AGM algorithm and then check to see if the Absorption and Float voltage setpoints match those for your AGM battery. If they do, all should be good, if not then you should be able to trim them to suit, or set up a custom battery with the correct parameters. Most important with AGM is to disable equalisation unless the manufacturer specifically permits this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ramblinjack avatar image
ramblinjack answered ·

Thanks Miked, I'll give that a try. Haven't actually spent much time looking at this yet, need to make some time and just do it.

2 |3000