question

graeme-w avatar image
graeme-w asked

BMS for 3 parallel banks of LiFePo4

We are replacing the existing lead acid bank on our barge for Winston LiFePo4 cells. Due to physical space limitation we've chosen to build 3 separate parallel banks of 16 x 300ah cells to create a 900ah 48V system.

The system is charged by a Quattro 15kVA and a MPPT RS 450/200 as shown in the diagram below with connectivity via a GX Colour Control.

power-system-claire-version.jpg

We were hoping to use the REC BMS system, with an REC 16S unit (with shunt, precharger and contactor) on each bank, feeding into a Master unit which connects to our CCGX.

Will this work for parallel banks???? Despite several emails and attempts to phone REC we can't get an answer from them.

Or can anyone suggest another BMS that would be suitable for this configuration?

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

I think that the REC master BMS is designed for banks in series, not parallel; so whilst the individual slave units would probably work, the master would report 3 x terminal voltage, which would probably cause over voltage alarms in the CCGX. Main problem here is that the CAN bus protocols are not usually made public. I'm building my own Lithium batteries and BMS systems, and have written code on a PI for monitoring up to 32 banks in series or parallel or combination. However, the code does need to know the configuration. I see no registers in the rec master for this - hence my opinion.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic