question

Deutch avatar image
Deutch asked

What would happen if the power of the solar panels is low compared to the maximum power allowed by the charge controller

Hello @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) and everyone,

Can you please help me?What would happen if the power of the solar panels is low compared to the maximum power allowed by the charge controller?In the data sheet of the MPPT Smart solar charge of 150/60, it is mentioned a maximum PV power under 24V of 1720W, however I have only a PV power of 1200W (3 PV modules of each 400Wp with the maximum power current of 9,60A each).What charge current could my charge controller provide to my batteries?

Thank you in advance

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Deutch

You can leave it at max.

The mppt will then track the best performance of your panels. We have an mppt that is under paneled it 4x330w in good temperature will put out their max 1320w. Never limited the mppt.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Deutch avatar image Deutch commented ·
Thank you @Alexandra
0 Likes 0 ·
solarhack avatar image
solarhack answered ·

Hi

I suggest you size the MPPT using the Victron calculator. https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator

The MPPT will have no problem with the panels producing less power than its maximum power handling capacity.

• If you set up the panels in series you may have a problem with the voltage as its probably will exceed the MPPTs maximum at low temperatures.
  • If you put the panels in parallel, the MPPT is likely to clamp the maximum amperage which will reduce your output. The voltage may drop below the minimum required to keep the MPPT working at a high temperature or when shaded.

I hope that helps

Regards

1 comment
2 |3000

Deutch avatar image Deutch commented ·
Thank you @SolarHack
0 Likes 0 ·