question

tomssong avatar image
tomssong asked

RCD tripping

I have installed a Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120-16/230V inverter in my widebeam boat, AC is fed from a diesel generator. With the inverter in the on position AC is fed through an RCD to the consumer unit supplying the boat’s domestic circuits. This works fine no problems.
With the generator running and the inverter on postion, it trips over to charge the batteries; bulk,absorption and then float. Or with the generator running and the inverter in charger only, it goes through the bulk, absorption and float.
The problem is when the generator is running, the slightest AC load trips the RCD. I understand that an unbanlanced load would trip the RCD, but this does not happen when the inverter is fed from the battery bank, and in the on postion. Neither does it happen when the generator is running and fed through the RCD to the consumer unit.

Any help as what to do would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Nico Bayer avatar image
Nico Bayer answered ·

Hi

Where in your system is the ground connected to neutral? Can you switch off your RCD and measure the resistance between neutral an ground of your consumer system? There should be no connection after the RCD.

Is the ground relay of your Multi active? Does the Multi have a good ground connection?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I would look at the generator's output to make sure there is a safety ground to neutral bond inside the generator or in the wiring to the Multi. While a floating neutral/hot system should not trip an RCD, any leakage (possibly capacitive) in the loads could be creating some current imbalance between hot and neutral.

2 |3000