question

Sandro Masseli avatar image
Sandro Masseli asked

How to repair burned MPPT 100|50

img-20210612-193351.jpgMy MPPT 100|50 smart solar has burned the connection and know it is not working properly. Indeed, I am afraid of it starts a fire onboard. As a sailor, you know how danger it is. To avoid it right now, I am using the controller with a charge cap of 10 amps.

As you can see on the photo attached, it stars a small burned with a bad smell.

Can you help me with this? It has limg-20210612-193422.jpgess than 2 years and is under the warranty.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi, saying hello, and please is a nice way to ask for help. BTW, the issue is related to the battery side, and getting a connector burned so badly means you have no fuse at the + connector of the battery, which is essential in such installations. For any reasons it seems to have been a long overload / short-circuit on the plus connector of your mppt.

I seriously doubt it will be taken under warranty, propably the power cable was not big enough to carry the all the amps, and it burned the connector. Personnally, I will review my full installation, add fuses, change the cables, and repalce the mppt.

Michel

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dingaling avatar image dingaling commented ·
Most likely no. And having a fuse would not made a difference, It would of been a hot connection from corrosion build-up (bare copper instead of tinned wire maybe) or a loose connection.
0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Hmmm, looks more like the result of a loose connection than a short or undersized wire. The MPPT has an internal fuse on the battery side. you need to remove the lid and see if there is any other damage. This would not be warranty - the lid may also be difficult to remove depending on the age of the unit. If you can get the lid off, it should be possible to solder in a new screw terminal.

2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

mind you, if the wire clamp still works, and the unit is functional, I would suggest to carry on using it as is, but do make sure the wires are securely clamped.

2 |3000

dingaling avatar image
dingaling answered ·

I've had this happen myself, hot connection from humidity and bare copper wire. As mentioned you might be able to keep using it if the meta terminal clamp still functions and put some nice new tinned copper wire of suitable size in there. Mine was really badly melted, but I managed to solder on another terminal block. The casing is moulded and a major job to get access to the PCB.

3 comments
2 |3000

mayamax avatar image mayamax commented ·

@dingaling Can you advise me how to disassemble my 150/70 mppt? I have to conduct repairs inside due to over voltage (I was testing and let the voltage exceed specs).

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ mayamax commented ·
Probably not repairable. I think this is a sealed unit and you'd have to carve the case away.
0 Likes 0 ·
dingaling avatar image dingaling mayamax commented ·

mayamax, i cant speak for the 150/70 but assume its similar construction to the 100/50. And its definitely possible to fix them, but that blue moulding/epoxy coating has to be removed which is a pain, but it does come off (in chunks). Leaving you with just the PCB. Once your at the PCB i take it you will know what needs fixing. Often times (I'm on the second repaired Victron MPPT, one from a lightning strike - blew the big fuse and a FET, the second was a melted hot connection like the top post)

You have to improvise a case to keep it from the weather, or away from anything metal that could short it out).

Would be good if Victron made it more serviceable with a simple removable cover.

Also a nice upgrade would be a temp sensor at the wire terminals to disable the charger when it gets too hot!

Maybe we should start a petition...

0 Likes 0 ·
rempeljody avatar image
rempeljody answered ·

Hello. I believe you should return it under warranty, claiming ignorance. It may work.

Aside from that, you'll need to open it, determine which component broke, and replace it, which would void your warranty, so try option 1 first.
krunker

2 |3000