question

stephen-1975 avatar image
stephen-1975 asked

Flashing lights on MPPT before firmware update

Hi. Im new to solar systems and i javs come back to mu boat tonight which jas the MPPT 100/50 charve controller. I noticed that the yellow and hreen lights were flashing away. What does this mean? I did check in on my app on my phone and i needed to update the app. Once i updated it the flashing lights went off and only blue bulk flashes (which is normal) would the other lights flashing just mean an update on my app??

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Absorption and Float flashing together indicates a "Battery or PV over-voltage" condition.
The update procedure cleared the error condition.

How are your PV panels arranged? Is your PV Voltage getting too close to the 100V maximum?
I'm focusing on the PV Voltage for now because to me this is more likely to happen than the battery goes over-voltage - unless you have other charging sources which could cause this to happen.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

The 100V limit of that charge controller is absolute maximum. If that is reached on the PV side there is a strong possibility of permanent damage.

It would be wise to review the spec on the back of your panels and their wiring to confirm that under no conditions (Eg cold weather) will your panels supply 100v or more to the charge controller.

2 |3000

stephen-1975 answered ·

The solar panels are 2x100v kicking out about 5Amh so they are ok (as far as I know and was advised)

I know about the bulk blue one flashes every 3 or 4 seconds and the absorption or float (can't actually remember that) does when charging or keeping it topped up.

Looking at the lights they were flashing just the yellow and green. As soon as i did the update on my phone they stopped. I know when you do a battery equalization they do flash. So unless it just needed that I don't know. I don't live on board yet so haven't been able to do the equalization recently. It stopped when it linked and upgraded the software. Battery voltage was slowest about 12.7v high was about 13v with no engine running

Batteries are 6 months old so don't think they are faulty. I haven't been back to my boat for about 2 or 3 weeks so to me I think it was something like that

As said as soon as the software update happened and linked back to my phone they stopped.

2 |3000

stephen-1975 answered ·

The panels are 100w kicking out 5amp ish. Got two of them and another 2 of 150wats kicking out about 9amps each (the 150w aren't on yet) everything seemed fine once I was updated the programme and my phone connected to it. Now back to the norm. Bulk flashing every 3 or 4 seconds. Yellow and green coming on when needed

2 |3000