question

sailorkev avatar image
sailorkev asked

DC to DC charger with my non-smart alternator

I have a beautiful 1976 sailboat where I will be installing my Orion-Tr Smart Isolated DC to DC charger to charge my LiFePo4 batteries off of the start battery. I have been told that this 30amp charger will over work my 30amp non smart alternator. Somebody please help!

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Due to conversion loss the Orion will pull more then 30A on the input.
If your alternator really have only 30A I would recommend you to use the smaller 18A Orion, this will pull maybe 20-25A at the input.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sailorkev avatar image sailorkev commented ·
Thank you for the input. I did return the 30 amp and got an 18 amp. Since you seem to know this stuff... my next question is this. I have installed the DC2DC to what I think is correct. However, it is not charging but for a few seconds at a time. It will go to BULK mode for seconds and then displays "engine shut down detected". It will go to BULK mode again in a minute or so. Then repeat. Is it possible that my start battery is too old? It still starts the engine but it's about 6-7 years old. I have played with the settings for shut down but it's likely I got those wrong too. After motoring my boat for a couple hours, my house bank is not charged up at all. Let me know. Thank you !!!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic