question

Leon Keefer avatar image
Leon Keefer asked

Generator - 240v but no current?

My charger/inverter is registering ~240v and ~50Hz, but no current. The LEDs for the charger are all out, but occasionally had the Mains LED flash, and once had the Abs LED flash. The generator puts out 1000W at 15A. Is this too small for my 3000VA charger? I’ve got it set to charger only... figured it would slowly charge up but I get nothing...

4dddf07f-69e1-49e9-85d6-144cf420fe9f.jpeg

Please help - I’ve inherited this system and don’t really know where to start.
Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Leon Keefer

A 1000W gen is really too small. I don't know what the "15A" you quote refers to. Even so, you may be able to get something going..

Firstly, see this link for a general view.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

In your screenpic, if you scroll up about 4 lines you'll see an 'Input Current Limit'. Set that as low as it will go, in your case that's likely 4.5A (Vac), too much for a rated 1000W, but close.

Set your DC charge Amps (using VEConfigure) to 20A (say) as a start point. That will leave a little for AC loads, working on the assumption that the genset may trip with big loads, or distort the waveform to where the Multi rejects it anyway. The Multi won't indicate why it rejects, so you'll be left guessing.

There's too much to describe in detail, but give it a try and come back. Generators aren't created equal, all you can do is try, then roll with it..

I'm fairly fresh with this, trying to make a donated gen work reliably. This one's capacitor-regulated, and has 'special' issues.. :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Leon Keefer avatar image
Leon Keefer answered ·

Thanks JohnC. We upgraded to our neighbour’s 6500W generator. Now it at least got a couple hundred W before getting kicked off and a HUB Fault. Progress!(?)

will review the FAQ for next steps

2 |3000

harold avatar image
harold answered ·

Yours AC is detected, but dsconnected.
This could be because is is out of range, to small etc.
You can change te settings to max Amps, ranges in V.

And swicht off the UPS function.!

2 |3000