question

Duncan Hall avatar image
Duncan Hall asked

UPDATE on Raspbery Pi 3B

I am currently running 2.66. When I attempt to check for the latest release candidate I get the message "Error during checking"

1622873963994.png

firmware update
1622873963994.png (70.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi thats right; at the moment there is no release candidate to check. See pinned post on v2.70~16 on modifications.

try again tomorrow

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

xbmcnut avatar image
xbmcnut answered ·

@Duncan Hall I was new to all of this as of yesterday. Like you, I wanted to try the latest and greatest and found that you have to wipe the 2.66 build completely and be running something past 2.70~4 to have online and SD upgrades made possible. I'm now running 2.70~19. This is how I did that if you don't mind starting again.

1. Download the latest release candidate from here http://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/candidate/images/raspberrypi2/. I used the venus-image-raspberrypi2.wic.gz and extracted this to reveal a file with a *.wic extension.
  2. Using Balena Etcher, I wrote this file to my SD Card but you may want to use a new card just in case you want to revert back?
  3. After that loads up, you should find that online update checks now work along with loading firmware files (*.swu) from USB media and the alike.

As I'm a NOOB, treat my advice with caution but this is what I did in order to test the latest features.

1 comment
2 |3000

jeroen avatar image jeroen ♦ commented ·

While @mvader (Victron Energy) answer was also true, that was just a temporarily issue, so I changed the accepted answer to this one, you can't automatically update a rpi3 from 2.66 to 2.7x, since new firmware blobs are needed, which aren't deployed automatically, since it will make the rpi unbootable during the process. So it is a manual step, on purpose.

Second thought, lets accept both answers:
- Error during checking occurred temporarily with v2.66 since the update feed was unavailable
- No update available should be shown on v2.66 since it requires re-flashing first.

0 Likes 0 ·
klaus-winklbauer avatar image
klaus-winklbauer answered ·

Strange that I have the same on my Raspi3b+ with 2.66 if it checks for the new regular 2.71 firmware...

so what is the way to update the firmware on the raspi? can i do it via ssh?

1 comment
2 |3000

xbmcnut avatar image xbmcnut commented ·

Method documented above. You have to start again.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic