question

scaniadvr avatar image
scaniadvr asked

Quattro charging problem

Hi I have a Quattro 24/5000/ it’s been running fine for 3 years now it’s having charging issues when I run the generator the input voltage fluctuates and the inverter resets the charge current jumps all over the place and the inverter has a pulsing transformer humming noise,.

The inverter side works fine it’s also doing it on shore power I have disabled the charger in the setup and loaded the generator up and the voltage is stable as I thought it might have been a faulty AVR is it possible the charger in the inverter is damaged? I have tested all the batteries and checked connections.

system is

Quattro 24/5000

Bluesolar 60/150

Cerbo GX with display

BMV 712

10 KVA marine genset

24v 600Ah VRLA bank

Victron battery balancer

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated thanks.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan commented ·

Can you share some of your inverter settings with us, like dynamic current limit enabled/disabled, grid code (if any), UPS mode enabled/disabled, weak ac I put enabled/disabled

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ·

Hi there hope this helps maybe, I would try a grid solid connection also for a test purpose, can i ask do you have the inverter set to ups mode, this setting 4. UPS Function determines whether the Multi should be critical of the distortion in the supply waveform.

Copied above from victrons website

if all else fails I would return the unit to be tested at victron it saves so much hassle and money in the long run I have previous experience of this and victron sorted it no problem and sent it back very quickly, it maybe a faulty item on the printed circuit board that’s causing the charging side of it to fail, if that is the case I would only get a victron repair done, hope this helps a bit thanks david

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scaniadvr avatar image scaniadvr commented ·

Thanks for the reply I checked the UPS function and it was turned on I had previously turned it off I disconnected the solar and ran the battery’s down and connected shore power and it was charging normally, I then started the genset and the fault reoccurred so I believe I hav a intermittent fault with the AVR board in the generator thanks for the help.

0 Likes 0 ·
ddickov avatar image ddickov scaniadvr commented ·

No problem I would try a different generator and if you have to change it it’s worth an email to victron to ask what gen set would best suit your Quattro. Anytime thanks david

0 Likes 0 ·