question

brets avatar image
brets asked

Orion 12/12-30 mounting

The manual says the Orion 12/12-30 should be mounted vertical with wire connections at the bottom. My location really needs it upside down, with the wire connections at the top, to fit in my space best. Can the Orion be mounted upside down?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That will be fine for cooling as long as the fins are still vertical.

However, IP43 protection will no longer be effective:1622724700228.png

This means that water falling as a spray or objects more than 1mm in size could affect the unit if it is mounted upside down, If you can mitigate against these hazards then you'll probably be fine.

1622724700228.png (12.8 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

brets avatar image brets commented ·

This is in the basement area of my 5th wheel. If I have water spray, I will likely be replacing more than my Orion...20210531-134249.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ brets commented ·

I think IP43 will be the least of your worries. It is near the MultiPlus which is IP22 when upright, so you'll be fine I think. It will still get the cooling that it needs.

0 Likes 0 ·
brets avatar image brets wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you, appreciate the feedback! I also have the Orion on 1/2" spacers, so it has some room off the board that the pic doesn't show. It should cool fine. My LiFePO4 pack goes in the area where the cutout in the back board is. The pack is compressed in wood fixtures with lexan covers.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic