question

jeffstjean avatar image
jeffstjean asked

MPPT 75 - Hex Protocol - Solar Current Issue

Hi,

I've written a parser for the hex protocol for the SmartSolar MPPT 75 | 15 that seems to be working for every parameter (that I've verified) except the solar current (0xEDBD). In the example packets below, I've removed the :7 from the beginning and \n from the end of each packet.

When solar voltage comes through, it looks like:

BB ED 00 EF 07 B0 (ID: 0xEDBB, Flags: 0x00, Value: 0x07EF)

Makes sense. But the solar current comes through as:

BD ED 01 A3

Which does not look like enough bytes whatsoever. There also doesn't appear to be a flags byte after the 0xEDBD. The current reads 0A on the bluetooth app and the messages don't appear to change much when the solar current rises.

Am I understanding this data register wrong? Also, is the battery current under the "charger current" or does charger refer to something else?

Thanks,

Jeff

MPPT SmartSolarcommunication protocol
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Meine_Energiewende avatar image
Meine_Energiewende answered ·

Maybe it is better to ask this in modification space:

https://community.victronenergy.com/spaces/31/index.html

Jens

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

The 01 is the flags byte (and A3 the checksum). It is telling you that this ID (0xEDBD) is not supported by the MPPT. For MPPTs, you should use 0xEDD7 (charger current). As mentioned in the VE.Direct doumentation for the MPPTs, the charger current is the current to the battery + the current going to the load output (when the MPPT has one).

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

jeffstjean avatar image
jeffstjean answered ·

Thank you both for your quick replies. Definitely was a misunderstanding on my part. Thank you for the help!

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic