question

kleszczewo avatar image
kleszczewo asked

Can I oversize MPPT charge controller?

Can I oversize an MPPT charge controller? I would like to start with just one 100W solar panel and have plenty of room for expansion, if I need it in the future. I am thinking of MPPT 40A controller.

Thank you

oversizing mppt charge controller
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Yes, you can do this. The only factor is the upfront cost, bigger controllers cost more than smaller ones obviously.
But, if you plan to grow your system then buy the one you can afford, you can possibly save money in the long run.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

Yeah, I always recommend over sizing. You can better capture cloud edge effect and spring days when it's cold and sunny. I've seen 1.3 to 1.4x solar capacity on cloud edge and 1.1x, maybe more on those cold spring days. (Lower temps make solar more efficient) http://file.scirp.org/Html/13-6401084/fc7b2783-cc9e-4ee1-9021-8c7c328f2004.jpg

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic