question

den-bradshaw avatar image
den-bradshaw asked

Can't update firmware for BMV-712

The BMV 712 requires a firmware update before I can use it. However, despite being able to connect to it on both my Android and iPhone, it fails the update at 4% on both devices. It gives the result B6 "the product did not activate its bootloader although it should have."

Tried over and over with no luck. Not feeling good about this very expensive brick. Any advice greatly appreciated.

BMV Battery Monitorfirmware update
8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi,

Can you please make a service report on the Android phone of when you try to update the BMV? The procedure is described here: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report

Please attach this service report in a comment on this topic using the "upload file" icon when writing a comment.

We can then look in this Service Report to get a better idea of what might be the problem.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
den-bradshaw avatar image den-bradshaw Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

I was able to update the firmware by purchasing the VE Direct cable, which for some reason when connected to my computer allowed the BMV712 to update via my phone (random). HOWEVER, my SmartSolar 100 | 50 doesn't show up at all. I updated it's firmware, also using the VE Direct cable, and configured it, but it doesn't show up on my android phone at all, even though the BMV712 does now show up and is accessible. I've generated a 'service report' from the SmartSolar 100 | 50 using my laptop and the cable... it's attached. SmartSolarServiceReport.log

0 Likes 0 ·
den-bradshaw avatar image den-bradshaw Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

SmartSolarServiceReport.log

This is from my phone... No smart solar

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ den-bradshaw commented ·

Hi,

This is not the service report from the phone, but again the service report from the windows laptop. I think you have to give it a different name or something as all service reports in your comments have the same name and are all the same size.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ den-bradshaw commented ·

Hi

Unfortunately, this does not help a lot. It just tells us that the phone really does not see the SmartSolar or at least is not reporting its existence to VictronConnect. Is the SmartSolar visible in the Bluetooth menu of the phone or not?

What you can try is to power cycle the SmartSolar by disconnecting the SmartSolar from PV and battery for a minute and then reconnect it.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·

It doesn't show up as a Bluetooth device in my list... The BMV712 shows right up no problem. Do I have a faulty device?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi,

Did you also try power cycling it by completely disconnecting it (both PV and battery) for a minute?

If so, it really looks like a faulty device.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
den-bradshaw avatar image
den-bradshaw answered ·

I was able to update the firmware by purchasing the VE Direct cable, which for some reason when connected to my computer allowed the BMV712 to update via my phone (random). HOWEVER, my SmartSolar 100 | 50 doesn't show up at all. I updated it's firmware, also using the VE Direct cable, and configured it, but it doesn't show up on my android phone at all, even though the BMV712 does now show up and is accessible. I've generated a 'service report' from the SmartSolar 100 | 50 using my laptop and the cable... it's attached. SmartSolarServiceReport.log

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi,

Can you please also make a service report on the Android phone after starting VictronConnect and staying in the main menu for a while, as this might tell us a bit more on why the MPPT is not visible on the phone?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic