question

rkbelew avatar image
rkbelew asked

Dongle+App does NOT allow capture of BMV-700 history?

it's been fun to watch the BMV-700 monitor, but i wanted long term data to be collected. i thought the dongle and app would allow me to capture that data, but posts like this one now make me think that is not true? The trend data seems to reset every time i reconnect bluetooth, i see the app can download its own settings but not any data files. is this how it's supposed to work?! if so, i see little advantage from the dongle. please tell me i'm missing something.

BMV Battery MonitorVE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Neither the BMV itself nor the dongle have an internal storage so you can only see the live data as long as you are connected.

To log the data over a longer time you need a GX device or a raspberry Pi with an internet connection or a local server (grafana) to log the data.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rkbelew avatar image rkbelew commented ·

Thanks for confirming this @Matthias Lange - DE. It seems VE's GX devices are quite expensive! Can you point me towards doc regarding how a RaspberryPI would connect, directly to the BMV, to the dongle?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ rkbelew commented ·

I don't use it myself so I can't give you much advise for that.
But you at least need a VE.direct to USB cable.

Here two links if you want to go down the rabbit hole into modifying/using Venus OS on a raspberry Pi:

https://community.victronenergy.com/spaces/31/index.html
https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki

0 Likes 0 ·
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

If you like to tinker, there are also other ways to log the data.

Victron Open Source has details on a few projects that others have had success with.

The only downside with these is lack of official Victron support once you start connecting different devices. There is however limited support available through the Modifications forum .

2 |3000

markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hello,

stored trends on a BMV is a feature soon to come.

See here: VictronConnect changelog and beta releases [Victron Energy]

• New stored trends feature:

• Trends data is kept stored in the product for up to 14 days approx.

• Data record intervals depends on the type of value and the age of the record.

• Supported by SmartSolar, BMV-712, SmartShunt and Smart Battery Sense.

BR

1 comment
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

...but unfortunately, the BMV 700 is not able to store trends. Only BMV 712 or SmartShunt

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic