question

Hannes Swart avatar image
Hannes Swart asked

Smartgen generator controller

I have a generator that came with the house and I have connected to the Qauttro, the generator has a Smartgen 420 controller that on automatic mode will start because it does not pick up any grid power that I have removed as I have gone totally off grid. My question is how do i control the generator from the CCGX, I have laid cables from the relay to the generator and I have made that input a remote start/stop but under manual the generator wont start.

The picture attached is the back of the controller and has been wired to B-(No. 1) and to Aux Input 4(No. 10) set for remote start/stop

88817934-c0ae-4eeb-a2ca-9fc22d9c3a9f.jpg

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
fatfash avatar image
fatfash answered ·

This is based on Smartgen HGM6120 which worked for me using normal electronic relay bought off AliExpress. Hopefully it should work for you

in the set parameter, enter "0636" as password and navigate to "Module type", change this from 420 to 410. You should be able to put the generator into Auto without it starting.

Since the Aux input 1 of your controller is free, you can make use of it by assigning it to "Remote start" in set parameters, but this time use "0318" as password. Navigate to Aux input 1 and set it to Remote start.

you can now connect the Quattro to start it.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hannes Swart avatar image Hannes Swart commented ·

You sir are a genius

0 Likes 0 ·
Hannes Swart avatar image Hannes Swart commented ·

I had already wired the quattro to input 4 and changed it to remote start, I only changed the module to a 410 and its working via the CCGX :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
fatfash avatar image fatfash Hannes Swart commented ·

Am glad it worked for you

0 Likes 0 ·
bankey-bihari-dassa avatar image bankey-bihari-dassa commented ·
This post was great! tnx for the engineers passcode for the smartgen. the procedure works also for the 4110/4120 series.

for the easy solar systems, use the ccgx (unscrew the top where the display is fitted and there you can see the relay inlet/outlet block.

0 Likes 0 ·
jdb avatar image jdb commented ·

hi, when i check for my controller on attach at https://www.smartgen-america.com/catalog/products/electric-generator-controllers/hgm61xx-series/smartgen-hgm6120n-automatic-start-generator-controller-amf-/

i cannot follow what you are meaning with

" navigate to "Module type", change this from 420 to 410. You should be able to put the generator into Auto without it starting."

How to do that please ?

SmartGen HGM6120N Automatic Start Generator Controller (AMF)

0 Likes 0 ·
simon-dommett avatar image
simon-dommett answered ·

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I have a Smartgen HGM 420 N. I used the 0636 password and successfully changed the unit to identify as a 410N.

I have the remote start option but it is not activating. I connected the controller to my laptop and I see that the "Remote Start" option is greyed out. I don't seem to be able to change this.

Here are some pictures to make it make clear:

20230531-123341.jpg

2 |3000