question

bricecre avatar image
bricecre asked

Can the Fronius zero-in feature be used when no grid is available

Hi,

I have successfully been able to use the Fronius zero-in feature when the grid is avaiable to use. I can correctly see that the value of the Fronius zero-in feature active item is indeed 'yes' and everything is working accordingly.

When I have a main loss, the cerbo disables the Fronius zero-in feature and proceeds to frequency shifting in order to limit the inverter. Why isn't the Fronius zero-in feature activated when we are in this particular case when I can still send information to the Fronius via modbus? Can it be activated?

Is the Fronius zero-in feature only avaiable with ESS? Is there another assistant that can potentially use this feature with generators?

Thank you

Fronius
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jacobjned avatar image jacobjned commented ·

If I am not wrong, I believe it is a protective feature by the ESS/Victron to avoid power being fed into the grid in the absence of mains power. When you lose grid power, due to a possible fault in the main line, there could be an electrical lineman working on the electrical lines, and if feed-in was to be enabled, he may get a 'shock' to find 'feed-in power' being fed on the line with a fault. You may noticed, that upon setting ESS, you need to choose a country code followed by Loss Off Mains (LOM) detection. This LOM is what prevents the feed-in power.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
greendovefarms avatar image
greendovefarms answered ·

My understanding is if the power from the fronius has nowhere to go the victron inverter has to throttle the fronius by shifting the Hz to reduce its output and eventually turn it off

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bricecre avatar image bricecre commented ·

Thank you for responding back.

Isn't it what the fronius feed-in feature is doing when the grid is available? It sends a power limitation setpoint to the Fronius via modbus in order to not have too much power. Can't it be done when the grid is not available?

0 Likes 0 ·
puitl avatar image
puitl answered ·

Same question for me: I have a 12,1kW grid feed-in limit but thinking about to set the Fronius Zero/Limited feed-in feature for "faster controlling" of the Symo, especially in the moment when grid get´s lost.

Does this help or is the Zere feed-in feature automatically disabled in the moment the grid is lost?

2 |3000