question

billos avatar image
billos asked

Install BMV-700 question

Hi! I'm trying to install the BMV-700 for my house batteries on my sailboat. The instructions say to install the shunt between the battery negative and and system ground. I have 3 house batteries connected serially (that I want to monitor) and one starter battery (I don't want to monitor). My problem is that the negative from the house battery is connected to the negative of the started battery before it goes to system ground. And my question is, is it OK to install the shunt between the house battery's negative and the starter battery's one? (See also photo attached, although not super clear). Thank you!!pxl-20210520-112504871.jpg

BMV Battery Monitorinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
d-ferdi avatar image
d-ferdi answered ·

hello,

this is ok.

the shunt must into the negative kabel from the batterie. where this kabel is connect, is not important. and the plus from the bmv must on the plus pol of the batterie.

only this is important.

if you connect it so, you get the right current and voltage from the batterie. but the kabel from shunt to the batterie should net be too long or you get a false voltage if you have a hight current.

goodby

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic