question

Hannes Swart avatar image
Hannes Swart asked

2x MPPT 250/100 not producing expected output

I now have 2 x 250/100 MPPT's that I have connected 28 x 390W panels 4 in series and 7 strings, 4 strings to one and 3 to the other. My question is why at peak hours am I only producing 6500W?

I have a Freedom Won 30/24 LifePO4 battery connected as well as a generator on remote start

img-6249.jpg

MPPT Controllers
img-6249.jpg (2.3 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Hannes Swart

Are you running loads and charging the battery? Or just battery charging?

The battery may be the one limiting the mppts. The other possibility is panel temperatures, or the mppt's ouput has been adjusted to less than their 100A max in the settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
greendovefarms avatar image
greendovefarms answered ·

I can see from your picture you haven’t connected your charge controllers connected via CanBus,

this could be a limiting factor for your lack of output as the 250/100”s will not be able to communicate with each other to make the most of your connected PV.

There are some great answers in other posts on this site regarding Charge controller communication on the CanBus when connected to the CCGX.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hannes Swart avatar image Hannes Swart commented ·

So as I understand it, it would be better to connect the 2 MPPT's in series using VE.Can ports instead of each individually with VE.Direct?

0 Likes 0 ·
offroadflow avatar image offroadflow Hannes Swart commented ·

In series most definitely not.

All parallel to the batteries as they are, but with the Can ports connected to each other.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hannes Swart avatar image Hannes Swart offroadflow commented ·

Sorry meant to say daisy chained

0 Likes 0 ·
greendovefarms avatar image greendovefarms Hannes Swart commented ·

Just ensure you fit the can bus terminators at the end of the chain (they are supplied in the box with your charge controller)

0 Likes 0 ·
Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan commented ·

The CCGX’s Can port is already used by the battery, so to connect the MPPT’s via can rather then upgrade to a Cerbo GX which has 2 separate Can drivers. I would also look at the battery cable size on the MPPT’s, they seem small and can generate a voltage drop enough to turn the one off before the other. Lastly, check DVCC settings

0 Likes 0 ·