question

Enzo avatar image
Enzo asked

Two Orion-Tr isolated dc-dc converter 24/24-17A outputs in series.

Hi there!

I am trying to find out if it is supported to have the output of two Orion-Tr isolated dc-dc converters 24/24-17A in series to provide 48V @ 17A output. The inputs are connected to the same 24V battery bank.

Their specifications mention that can be used in parallel, so, in theory, these two output voltage sources can be connected in series.

I know that I could have used two 48/48-8A in parallel but I don't want to change the whole setup from 24V to 48V.

Could you please let me know?

Thank you and regards,

Enzo.

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

In theory this would not work very well at all because the high side one is being referenced to the positive of the low side one. On the other hand, being isolated versions, there is a small chance it would work.
However, I'd not recommend this at all and may cause damage to either the device its self or something else down the line.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Enzo avatar image Enzo commented ·

Thank you for your prompt answer WKirby, much appreciated.

I should have added that these two units will supply power exclusively to a purely resistive load, if it makes any difference for my question.

Than you again,

Enzo

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic