question

americanium avatar image
americanium asked

Victron Multiplus 2 turn on/off via modbus to save energy

Hello,

i found out that after discharging the battery the Multiplus comsumes about 50-70 Watts when doing quite NOTHING. So I want to turn the MP2 off after battery is discharged and restart it via modbus when enough solar power is available.

Is there Modbus register which can do that ?

Thank you!

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
bjorn-n avatar image
bjorn-n answered ·

In your GX device, you can turn the MultiPlus-II on and off. As long as the GX device remains powered somehow, you can also remotely switch it on again.

screenshot-at-2021-05-14-10-10-43.png

So what you are looking for is the Modbus address of the "Switch" value...

The number of writeable registers is rather limited. At least according to the official documentation (see CCGX Modbus TCP regisster list). The one that comes close is address 2317 to turn the charger on/off. Possible values: 0=Off;1=On;2=Error;3=Unavailable- Unknown

There's also address 3126 for turning the inverter on/off/eco. Possible values 2=On;4=Off;5=Eco

If setting both those values to "Off" doesn't get you what you want, you'd need to do some reverse engineering stuff to discover undocumented addresses. Read all the Modbus TCP registers you possibly can. Change the "Switch" value to Off/Charger Only/Inverter Only/On manually in the Victron GX, read all of the Modbus TCP registers again to determine which address it is stored at (*).

No clue at this point if the address would be an address in the GX unit (unit_id=100) or in the multiplus unit (unit_id=239). Or perhaps even another unit_id..

(*) Note: there are values that are changing automatically, so best to determine the addresses of those automatically changing data locations first.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bjorn-n avatar image
bjorn-n answered ·

Looks like the address you need is 33.

These are the values I read when switching from On to Invert only

>>> cmp.read_holding_registers(33)
[3]
[2]
[3]
>>> 

Possible values according to the register list mentioned in my other answer:

1=Charger Only;2=Inverter Only;3=On;4=Off

By the way, I'm curious to know the power consumption is when you switch it off. If you don't mind sharing it. :-)

1 comment
2 |3000

hanes1 avatar image hanes1 commented ·

Thank you for your answer, this register works for me. I also tested the power consumption in this mode:

Power consumption in Off-Mode for an 48/5000 MPII is on AC-Side 0W and on Battery-Side ~1W depens on Inputvoltage. e.g.: 0.9W for 45V and 1.1W for 58V.

In Inverter-Only-Mode, AES Mode (Searchmode) it is also AC-side 0W. On Battery-Side it changes between 28W and 1W (See image below) (differs from real consumption a bit, mp2 measuring is between 26W and 0W)eg-aesmode.png

Hope i could help too :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
eg-aesmode.png (22.7 KiB)