question

nbtchicago avatar image
nbtchicago asked

Which Battery Preset for my AGM Battery? Specs below

Hello-

I have the MPPT 100/20 that feeds an Optima AGM type 25 aux battery in my Jeep's engine bay.

I am really confused about the battery setting and being challenged in everything electrical, I wold like to know which preset would best fir the Optima AGM batter? From what I have read, the preset 1 or 2 would likely fit best- BUT - the AGM battery I have is a spiral one and so the preset for AGM Spiral seems to be better suited. HOWEVER, the settings according to what I have read appear to be too high according to the chart here: https://deepcyclebatterystore.com/do-not-use/battery-charge-settings-agm-vs-flooded-vs-gel/

So... which is it... :)

Thanks in advance.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@nbtchicago

Since you don't have one designed for cycling it will be a little different. It may be best to match your alternator charge voltages possibly around 14V or 14.8V?

https://www.optimabatteries.com/support under the section called charge your Optima battery they recommend using a charger that is more suited to lead acid based charging with lower amps like 12 or 13A.

under the section - do I need a special charger the page states: -

For regular charging, we recommend a maximum of 10 amps, 13.8 to 15.0 volts. For float charging, we recommend one amp maximum, 13.2 to 13.8 volts.

You can always switch on expert mode and customize the charge voltages in Victron Connect if you have the smart mppt. If the equalization voltage is the one bothering you then set it to the bulk or float. But for AGM it is usually disabled in the settings if you look further down the page for settings.

Always best to look at what the manufacturer recommends rather than other sites. Their downloadable user guide has all the info in it as well.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nbtchicago avatar image nbtchicago commented ·

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question. This helps a lot. According to what you wrote and the website to which you referred, I have set the following:

Battery:

Max Voltage 12V

Max Charge: 13A

Absorption: 14.7

Float: 13.7

Equalization: 16.5 (and it is disabled further down)

Yes?

IMG_5234.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-5234.jpeg (93.8 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ nbtchicago commented ·

@nbtchicago

All the voltages look within the range set by the manufacturers so it should be all good there. the only question i do have is on the charging amps, are you cycling your battery down regularly - if so maybe set the charge amps to the 10A.

At the end of the day it is up to you on that one.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic