question

Stijn avatar image
Stijn asked

Modifying charging parameters on phoenix multiplus compact and bluesolar charge controller for forklift traction batteries

Hey all!

The seller of my forklift batteries gave me the following info...

Charging Parameters

Bulk voltage: 2.5 - 2.7 vpc

Charge batteries up to 2.5 - 2.7 vpc per cell (as close to 2.7 vpc as your equipment will allow you to reach)

When peak bulk has been reached use a constant voltage charge known as absorption stage of 2.4 vpc. This charge rate should be continued until 100% charge is reached. The best way to determined full charge has been reached is by using a hydrometer, unless your charge equipment has a shunt fitted which will detect the amps being accepted by the battery pack and turn off automatically.

Float voltage: 2.3 - 2.5 vpc

My question is...how to set the phoenix multiplus compact and bluesolar charge controller settings when I can only specify an absorption and a float voltage?

Thanks in advance!

Stijn

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello Stijn,

The multiplus has a setting for traction batteries. It is close but not precisely the characteristics specified by your battery manufacturer.

The MPPT accounts for the tail charging current when determining the end of absorption. It is also possible to set an equalisation voltage. See the "Three step charging" section of the MPPT manual.

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/manuals

These are the relevant settings in VEconfigure

Multiplus Options for Traction

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stijn avatar image
Stijn answered ·

Hey Guy. I do not really understand your answer. If I read what the manufacturer specified, I get a drawing as above. I know about three-phase charging.

If I understand you correctly, you propose to charge until 28.8V, then enter the absorption phase to slowly charge until 32.4V, to then enter the float at 30V.

If I would check the tubular plate option, it might try to charge my batteries until 34V during absorption, which might destroy them, right?

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi Stijn,

You are right, and I wouldn't click the traction equalisation box without confirming with your battery supplier/manufacturer that they were happy with the settings.

That is actually the safest way forward. Let them know you want to use a Victron charger and what settings do they recommend for their battery with that unit.

This can be a tricky thing to get 100% certainty on, because nobody wants to be the one to damage batteries.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stijn avatar image Stijn Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks! I will talk to the seller!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic