question

avanianahata avatar image
avanianahata asked

Charger Controller State is Off during daytime

Hi,

I am new to solar and off grid life. We have a Victron energy mppt 250 | 100 charge controller and 6 200 watt solar panels. Up until today our set up has been great. When I checked today our charge controller state says off and says 0 watts, I checked the why does my charger say OFF and it says insufficient PV power. It is a crappy day (full cloud coverage & rain) but in the past it has still been able to pull /charge some watts. I’m just looking for some insight! Is it because of the crappy weather or could it be something more? I attached photos and any advise would be so helpful! Thanks! 467f4609-36f7-4346-9fa5-f032909e1891.png6c4a1c8e-c49f-4112-99e5-0fffccf6c918.png

79778839-6274-4c9c-8fd8-1b0d19c2e1b4.png

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Even on a cloudy day the PV voltage should be higher and you should get some energy.
You may have to check the PV wiring.

PS: Your PV voltage is very close to the maximum of 150V that your MPPT handle.
On cold and sunny days the PV voltage gets higher and could exceed 150V.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

avanianahata avatar image avanianahata commented ·

Thank you for the reply, I rechecked and we actually have the 250 | 100 mppt charger not 150| 100

0 Likes 0 ·
avanianahata avatar image avanianahata commented ·

I checked all the wiring and it looks fine. No connection breaks, nothing is loose and no fuses or breaker have tripped. Not really sure what to do at this point since it’s still saying the same thing.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ avanianahata commented ·

Now you need to measure the voltage of each string separately. The problem is definitely on the PV side.

0 Likes 0 ·
avanianahata avatar image avanianahata Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Sorry, I’m new to all of this. Pv side? Does that mean the solar panel wiring strings? I had someone help with the install so I’m not really sure what I’m looking for here.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ avanianahata commented ·

The MPPT is not charging because the PV voltage is to low so the problem must be somewhere there.

I guess you have 2 strings of 3 panels each. You have to disconnect them and measure the voltage.

If you don't know how to do it ask the person who helped you installing it.

0 Likes 0 ·
avanianahata avatar image avanianahata Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Okay, thank you. We have 6 panels connected in series. So one negative wire & one positive wire at each end. We will have to get a voltage meter and check the voltage of each.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mait Kindlam avatar image
Mait Kindlam answered ·

My system has worked flawless for 2 years. 2 days ago it developed exactly the same problem.

I have 2x40W solar panels connected in series (producing around 40 volts) connected to smart MPPT 17/75. Battery bank is 12Volts. Still I get the same message that PV is not producing enough voltage... The wiring is OK, tested.

Looks like firmware problem to me, any suggestions? Can I restart the system somehow?

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Please read the troubleshooting section of the Smart MPPT 75_15. manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
csc avatar image
csc answered ·

I have exactly the same situation. Worked fine then failed randomly. Pv array perfectly fine, values always under 250 in the historic, though it toped once at 246v voc.

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
If you measure the panel voltage at the controller during failure it will tell you if it's the panel side/cabling or the controller. If the expected voltage isn't there, panels/cables including connectors should be checked. Otherwise mppt to dealer for checks/repair.
0 Likes 0 ·
csc avatar image csc kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
220vdc on the pv cables reduced to zero once you plug them correctly to the smartsolar
0 Likes 0 ·