question

Ian Jordan avatar image
Ian Jordan asked

Multiplus 12/1200/50 Two Signal BMS Assistant

Hi All,

I'm setting up my system with an external BMS of a 272Ah LiFePo4 battery that I've built. This has four configurable relays. I am using one for my Charge Loads (via a BatteryProtect) and one for my Discharge Loads (via a BatteryProtect).

The other two I'm trying to use to control my Multiplus 12/1200/50. Firstly can this be done, the information online refers to the Multiplus using Aux1 and Temp connectors, but mine has the Remote and Temp connectors? I have attached my high Voltage relay (set to turn off everything) to the Remote On and Remote+ connections. I have attached my low Voltage relay (set to turn on charger only) to Temp+ and Temp-.

When I trigger these it seems to make no difference at all and the Multiplus just carries on charging at full power. I haven't got the rest of the AC set up yet, so I can't tell if it is turning the inverter off.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Ian Jordan avatar image
Ian Jordan answered ·

OK, sorted it!

To get this working I used two relays in my BMS.

For low cell and low pack voltages one relay is connected to the T-sense + and -. Then in VEconfig set up the two signal BMS to take a single input on battery empty. This changes the Multiplus over to charger only.

Then the second relay is then connected to the Multiplus remote port + and ON. The key to getting this working is to the switch dip switch 1 to on (it is off by default), this enables the remote pin to work. So this isn't quite the load/Charger disconnect I was aiming at, but this does work. When this relay opens it completely turns off the unit. This is useful for high temp & low temp protection, along with certain other BMS alarms used to protect the battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

With the small MultiPlus you have only one input.
So you have to combine both signals to that input and configure the assistant that there is only one signal for "high cell" and "low cell".

OR

You do it like it is described in the manual of the Smart BMS
https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Smart_BMS_CL_12-100/en/appendix.html
(6. MultiPlus 500VA – 1600VA & MultiPlus Compact 800VA – 2kVA)

3 comments
2 |3000

Ian Jordan avatar image Ian Jordan commented ·

Thank you, now I need to work out what signal to send into that lead. I guess voltage high from both relay outputs?

0 Likes 0 ·

So, I'm going to go down the route of using the CL12/100 cable, as I believe I also need one to get my Orion trigger behaving correctly. How do I set this up correctly with the assistant?

0 Likes 0 ·

@Mattias Lange - DE I now have the CL12/100 to Multiplus cable. I have wired it as per the instructions, Black to On, Red to +. Then I have connected the orange and yellow wires to my relays with a high source. But it has no affect at all on the Multiplus. Do I need to configure something in the Multiplus to react to the signal?

0 Likes 0 ·