question

timnepo avatar image
timnepo asked

Victron Energy MultiPlus Compact 12/1600/70 and Winston LiFePO4 battery

Hello All

I am just wondering which settings I should use utilizing MK3 dongle to program MultiPlus Compact 12/1600/70 inverter/charger with 4pcs x 40Ah = 160Ah battery bank consists of 4pcs of batteries:

https://shop.gwl.eu/LiFeYPO4-batteries-12V-1-1/Lithium-Battery-12V-40Ah-WB-LP12V40AH.html#tab1

Batteries came from here, but are the same as above:

https://lime-power.se/sv/produkter/batterier/litiumbatteri-40-ah.html

Thanks a bunch for advise!

/Tim

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jeroend avatar image
jeroend answered ·

Assuming you run these in parallel, all settings are listed in the short manual which is available for download on the website you mention:

Operating voltage min 11.5 V - max 15.5 V At 80 % DOD

Deep discharge voltage 11 V The cells are damaged if voltage drops below this level

Maximal charge voltage 16 V The cells are damaged if voltage exceeds this level

Optimal charge current < 20 A 0.5 C

Maximal charge current < 120 A < 3 C with battery temperature monitoring

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Without a BMS it is very important to be able to manually monitor cell voltages. So you want access to individual cells terminals (to be able to measure each cell and take measures, if necessary). I don't see the point of using enclosed cells without also a BMS inside the battery enclosure. All cells should be bottom balanced when used without a BMS.

With LiFePO4, when charging don't go over 3.6V (cell voltage).

But since those have no BMS, keep it even lower: something like 3.45V.

For discharging, set the inverter low voltage cut off no lower than 3V (cell voltage).

Keep in mind that cells in a battery can have different voltages. So for instance a 4-cell battery with a voltage of 12V does not necesarilly mean that all cells inside have 3V. Some could be higher and some could be lower than 3V.

1 comment
2 |3000

jeroend avatar image jeroend commented ·
@Seb71 The product referred to by @timnepo is a 12V monolithic cell and must be considered as such. Having 4 of these in series will give an output of 48V (hence my assumption that timnepo would run these in parallel). I do not think 3.6V cell settings are applicable here.
0 Likes 0 ·