question

u-brain avatar image
u-brain asked

Back fell off my MPPT 75/15, is it just a fancy blue paperweight now?

I've had this Bluesolar 75/15 for a while: it came with v 1.08 on it. Recently got it out of the cupboard for an experiment. Couldn't get the bluetooth dongle to work but managed, with help from this forum, to get the F/W updated over cable and hey presto, bluetooth functionality :-)

All ticketyboo for a week or two.

Today it's been windy so a bit of pfaffing securing my 'temporarily' installed panels and it appears the MPPT 75/15 got dislodged. I noticed the output dropping in and out despite strong sunlight and on inspection found the back had fallen off the charger and sand was running out of it. Worse though, there was a burny smell... the kind you get from fried transistors!

Disconnected=>refilled (most of) the sand=> taped the back back on. (there were no screws holding it on just a thin line of dried glue)

On reconnect, output commenced briefly, voltage spiked to just over 20v (12v LiFePO4 battery), I got a warning of battery voltage being too high (actually it was just 12.8v which is low-ish for LiFePO4) and now it won't output anything,

Is this repairable? I know it's well beyond warranty but I'd rather see it repaired than sent to landfill - or shall I just use it as a fancy hi-tech paperweight?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@u brain

No not repairable. It is a fairly destructive process opening the unit up.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/28209/how-to-disassemble-10015-mppt-to-fix-vedirect-port.html

Use the linked form for support in the article above.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

u-brain avatar image
u-brain answered ·

Thanks for the pointer - I've filled the form, sent it off and crossed my fingers!

2 |3000