question

fede-h avatar image
fede-h asked

Can I use two BlueSolar MPPT 100/50 in parallel to charge the same battery bank

I have two BlueSolar 100/50 MPPT charge controllers, each one of them fed by two 330W/48V PV panels in series, that I want to connect to two 12V/ 190AH AGM batteries. One of the charge controllers has a bluetooth dongle. How can I synchronize them to maximize charging? Do I need another bluetooth dongle? Will that allow them to behave as the SmartSolar MPPTs do?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@fede_h

Yes you would need another bluetooth dongle and a smart battery sense. I dont think it will work as you are wanting it to though there are limitations with the ve direct bluetooth.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Smart_Networking/en/ve-smart-product-compatibility.html

screenshot-20210504-080439.jpg

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fede-h avatar image
fede-h answered ·

Thanks for the answer, although not the one I was hoping for :-(

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@fede_h

No problem. But as @Scubadoo said, it is not all that important.

For the bulk both chargers will be going. You will only really see a difference at the end where one will tail off just shortly before the other.

0 Likes 0 ·
fede-h avatar image fede-h Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Thanks! Happy to read that.

0 Likes 0 ·
Nev avatar image
Nev answered ·

Do you really need synchronisation?

I have 2x Victron 50A MPPT solar controllers, a Victron IP22 30A battery charger and an alternator outputting c80A all quite happily either individually or combined charging our 300Ah LiFePO4 battery.

No "synchronisation" involved.

Each charging source is set to similar parameters. They all end charging at different times but within a minute or so of each other.

+ or - an Ah or so is irrelevant.

When the battery is full they simply maintain any load output.

The battery has now survived 7 years of 24/7 use.

1 comment
2 |3000

fede-h avatar image fede-h commented ·

This is great, thanks. I have read that having the connections to the battery bank of both MPPTs (e.g. to a busbar and then to the batts) helps in having them working closely. Do you have that kind of cable arrangement?

Regarding the parameters, max current output of each MPPT should be set to half the charging current you want for the battery bank, right?

0 Likes 0 ·