question

trungt avatar image
trungt asked

Mulitplus II 48/5000 tripping RCD

Hi all,

I wondered if any can help me on this one...?? I am a bit of a novice on electrical matters and so, i would appreciate you taking things a bit easy on me (for all you experts out there!!)

I have an AC feed in from the house to a RCD and then through a 20A breaker to my Multiplus II 48/5000. I am using the earth from the house mains to a busbar. The casing of the multiplus is connected to the earth busbar. AC In setting at 16Amps via VE Config. Battery cable is connected. the AC Out cable is also connected and fed back into the house as a second ring.

When I flick the Mains In RCD (30mA)switch, it trips it immediately? I am not 100% sure what the problem is but possibly too much leakage from the earth coming from the house?

I am considering purchasing an earth rod and set up a different earth circuit and connect the earth from the rod to the Multiplus and also for the casing earth.

My questions then are:

1) Does anyone have any idea why the RCD is tripping immediately?

2) If I use the earth rod and connect the earth from there to the multiplus (AC In) and also the casing earth, what do I do with the earth cable from the Mains AC In cable?

3) I have considered another RCD - perhaps 120mA but, I have been inform that 30mA should be fine.

I would appreciate any ideas, answers and feedback that you have.

Many thanks !

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hui

First all these should be installed by a registered electrician who has experience in these and earthing systems to comply with local regulations etc.

Also adding or changing a earth rod connection requires a inspection from a inspector in NZ, as this is regarded as mains works and is dangerous.

Have you set up the assistant for the grid settings and ground relay earth settings? or using the VictronConnect app to change as well?

Regards

Rob D

NZ

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Properly installed electrical connections won't trip an RCD unless a fault exists.

The most likely cause of the RCD trip is a connection between the house neutral and the neutral coming back in from the Multi. Keep the neutral for this circuit separate from all others within the house.

Earth connections should all be connected together and returned to the electrical service entrance. It is OK to install additional ground rods but DO NOT disconnect the earth connection back to the service entrance. Otherwise any fault current can't flow through the earth connection and eliminate elevated voltages on equipment cases, etc. Such a fault will trip the branch circuit breaker. It's a common misconception that an earth rod will provide the same protection, but a ground rod won't trip most sized branch circuit breakers!!!!

I second Rob's comment. Have a qualified electrician install everything, and have them help you troubleshoot your system. This is especially important since you said you are a novice.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rotevery avatar image
rotevery answered ·

If you set up different earth circuit, you'd create ground loops that would hurt your equipment during lightning for example.

2 |3000

Robert Boerescu avatar image
Robert Boerescu answered ·

AC in neutral and AC OUT neutral should not have any connection or RCD will trip. As Kevin said this is the most likely cause.

2 |3000