question

rodre avatar image
rodre asked

SmartPack battery in RV

Hello,

I am considering adding a 12v 100 or 200ah SmartPack battery to my RV. It currently has a SmartSolar 75/15 charge controller and Smart Battery Sense installed on it. What I am not clear on is if the BMS in the SmartPack can limit power draw sufficiently when the trailer is plugged Into the tow vehicle and the vehicle alternator will charge the battery. The tow vehicle has a 139amp alternator. I understand that the BMS on the SmartPack will limit the charge current to 50amps but I doubt the wiring to the aux power pin on the 7 way trailer plug and beyond can handle this amount of current. If I need a DC to DC converter such as the Smart BMS CL 12/100 am I better off getting a Smart series battery? I would like the whole setup to communicate over the Smart network.

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

as far as I know the victron BMS units in a smart Battery only have a MAX amps load limit and a MAX amps charge limit

these limits cannot be changed and they are set to protect the battery itsself from damage.

to control the max charge amps you would need a DC to DC charger such as a orion Orion-Tr 12/12-18A ORI121222110 so that you dont damage your charge wiring there are different size units available

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic