question

puppettalker avatar image
puppettalker asked

BMV current creeps up to 8A even when load disconnected

I just installed a BMV-712. When I first apply power to the BMV it shows 0.0A but after a while I came back and it was reading 7-8A, even with nothing on the load terminal.

Doing a zero current calibration makes no difference, it still shows 7-8A, but if I disconnect power and reconnect it starts out at 0A again, then makes it's way back up to 8A within a day.

I have nothing attached to the BMV except the negative battery terminal, power lead, and UTP cable. Nothing on the LOAD/CHARGER side at all, nothing is being moved or disturbed during this test.

Any thoughts? (I previously posted about this question but this is a new post with more info)

img-0403.jpeg

untitled.png

BMV Battery Monitor
img-0403.jpeg (197.4 KiB)
untitled.png (311.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

How long does it take to get to 8A?

The BMV is connected to a Smart Network could you try to disconnect it from there?

If that changes nothing you should contact your dealer about a replacement.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

puppettalker avatar image puppettalker commented ·

Thanks for chiming in. I'm not sure how long it takes, several hours or overnight. Once it goes up to 8A it seems to stay there indefinitely. Also "creep" was a poor choice of words in the original title. It seems to go from 0 to 7-8 with nothing in between. I come back the next day and it stays bouncing around 7-8A even after doing a zero current calibration.

I set up a Smart Network to share battery temp info with a Victron MPPT charger (although I have the temp lead disconnected from the BVM right now for troubleshooting). I will remove it for now.

EDIT: I shut off the Smart Network and still see the same behavior. Current goes back to 8A within a day. I added more screenshots to the original post.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ puppettalker commented ·

Given you have removed the pcb from the shunt, that would be the first place to look.

The surfaces must be clean, and the screws tight.

0 Likes 0 ·
puppettalker avatar image puppettalker klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

You must've seen my other post. I did flip the PCB because it would've been a little easier to lay out the wiring that way but I flipped it back thinking maybe that was causing the problem. I checked for any debris and it is tightened very securely with the original screws and nothing else under them. I can reseat it a 3rd time but I really don't think it's the issue.

0 Likes 0 ·