question

newps avatar image
newps asked

BMV-712 Not Working

As part of the purchase process I had the dealer I bought my Tiffin 32SA from add in a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor. I did not check it when I picked it up. It does not seem to work, there is nothing on the screen. It has never worked. They wired both positive wires(B1 and B2) to the same battery post. Don't know why they did that.
I have removed both of these one at a time and tried them in each position, nothing happens. Both of these wires test out at 12 volts. I have tried both the included telephone cable as well as one I have here at home, no change. It does not show up on the Victron Connect app.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Newps

The 712 is able to monitor voltage of two batteries. So as long as the B1 and B2 were on the positive it should be fine, although they could have just left the one off. Are the fuses ok?

The second thing to check is if the utp cable is the original (the original is a really long one many meters long) and if it is located properly in both the shunt and the monitor, as this is where the monitor gets its power. If it is not original then that may be the problem.

If it is dead (and not for the reasons above) then is was most likely a reverse polarity connection and it would need to be taken in for repair or replaced.

1620064746216.png

1620064746216.png (155.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.