question

mlmb4 avatar image
mlmb4 asked

24v to 12v charger plus solar ?

Hi There

I'm new to the whole solar charging system thing and am trying to find out if there's a product to combine everything. I have a camper van with a 24v engine batterythe leisure system is 12v ( 2x120ah gel batteries) I currently have a c tech mains battery charge and a durite 24-12v split charger.

I want to get 2 solar panels to power my waeco cr80 fridge (battery powered) and charge my 2 leisure batteries. Other than the fridge the usage is minimal. I don't really have any limitations on the van roof as its 8mtrs by 2.5 mtr.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Mat

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

if you have the waco frigde then it will draw around 4 amps per hr while running so if it runs for 24 hrs that around 100 A/Hrs used

plus anything else you may use ie lights TV etc

anyway as you have roof space

get

2 x 300watt panels thats 600 watts and at peak out put thats 50amps

Also to monitor whats happening a battery monitor BMV-712 (this is also bluetooth compatible)

for solar regulation use a Smartsolar mppt 100/50 unit (this is also bluetooth compatible)

this will cover you for a long time I would think and give you plenty of power if you add more loads.

if budget does not allow then

re reduce to one panel and a smartsolar mppt 100/30

plus a BMV-712

Its always better to have extra capacity than not enough

The bluetooth option allows you to view whats going on, On your phone or tablet, via the victron free App

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi M. With those batts, a 20A mppt should suffice. Say a Smartsolar 100/20. In round figures that's like 280W from the panels at peak charge. If your panels are laid flat, stepping up to say a pair of 200W-300W would work for poorer weather coverage. Assuming you may 'park up' for a few days.

This isn't cast in stone though. Both you or others may have differing views.

Note the 100/20 can charge 24V batts too. Whichever batt system you decide to charge, just wire in parallel to the existing system.

Edit/: Posted before I saw Paul's, so differing views already.. :)

2 |3000

mlmb4 avatar image
mlmb4 answered ·

Thanks for the info so far. Does any one have recommendations for the type of panels. I’ve noticed there’s 2types but can’t really tell what the big difference is.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

You probably mean poly vs mono, but there's lots of different types really. Just go from the spec sheets and if you like the look of them. Mountings & all that type of thing too. Good luck choosing. :)

2 |3000