question

rickpickle avatar image
rickpickle asked

DC to DC converter to load output of bluesolar 75/15

I have a small solar powered system installed to run my domestic central heating pumps and controls in the winter. It has evolved over the years from a 12 v Pb with PWM system to a diy 24v Li-ion with bluesolar MPPT 75/15.

A couple of years ago when i changed to 24v Li-ion i had to install a DC to DC converter to run my control gear and pumps. The bluesolar MPPT 75/15 would not accept the converter connected to the load output, simply no out put, I guess it saw it as a short circuit. So i connected straight to the battery.

Present day I am evolving the system further and have th 75/15 conected to a Raspberry pi with venus Large os. but obviously i cannot see what loads i am running as they are direct to the battery.

The DCtoDC converter is not a victron, would a victron converter be any different?

Can i install a resister across the load output to over come bluesolar MPPT 75/15 seeing a fault?

any advice would be great,

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I don't think a Victron DC-DC would be any different to your current DC-DC.
The problem is due to the high capcitive input that most DC-DC converters will present at their input. The high capacitance causes a high inrush current.
The MPPT load output senses this high current, assumes a fault and switches the output off.

One method which might help is to use a ICL (Inrush Current Limiting) NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) resistor in series between the MPPT load output and the DC-DC converter. One of these may help you, but bear in mind that it is a resistor and it will waste energy in heat. How hot it gets depends upon how much continuous current is flowing through it.

I have used an Epcos B57127P0508M301 NTC in the past and it could start high power lightbulbs but it would get hot at high current. 5A load is probably acceptable, but of course the wasted heat rises exponentially as the current rises, so maybe do some calculations first or experiment for yourself.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rickpickle avatar image
rickpickle answered ·

Thank you for your very helpful reply,

The constant load is under 2amps @ 24v so I guess it wont hurt to try a NTC resistor. A few more losses would be acceptable on the scale of things.

Q, did you use just one NTC resistor, in series on the negative side of the mppt load output?

Im also considering other options to read 'system load' if victron cant help me, I have a cheap but very cheerful smart bms it gives a 'battery load'. Which is accurate when theres no solar input, If I take the 'battery load' reading from the bms and add to that the 'PV input' from the Bluesolar MPPT and i should be close to 'system load'. i guess?

suggestions always welcome

2 |3000

ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

Since you dont seem to need to disconnect the DCDC, Switch Load to always on or very low off settings and precharge the DCDC before connecting to Load output. Maybe even with a switch and resistor directly from the battery or two switches from the load output, one direct one plus one with resistor in line for precharging for future ressetting.

A bit more of a hassle when it actually disconnects to reconnect but it shows (rough) data.

I solved this problem with a 100/20. Seems to be less whingey about in rush current.

2 |3000

rickpickle avatar image
rickpickle answered ·

Thats great thank you, In the case of your 100/20 did you use a normal type resistor.?. ie not NTC.

I dont have any as low as 0.5 ohms, but then i guess i could have a go with a larger resistor in waiting to order. If i understand correctly, Your idea of change over switches means the resistor or thermistor wont be in the final circuit. So losses through the resistor/thermistor are less important.

Thank again for the feed back

2 |3000